Tuesday, April 3, 2012

and the City

Yesterday was a national holiday in Vietnam, so the students had a three day weekend. Upon being asked if they enjoyed their break, the majority said nothing special happened, that it was boring, or just declined to say anything. Seems awful early for teenage apathy. Unwilling to accept this jaded attitude, I pressed.

"Not a movie, not anything? The park, ice cream, out playing with your dog?"

A couple of students raised their hand.

"I went to Vincom to watch the...."
"The Rolex."
"It's The Lorax."
"Yeah, The Lorax."

"Oh, any good?"

"She lie! She go to watch Sex and the City!" one of the more loudmouth boys interjected.

The class breaks into laughter, the first sign of life.

I stare at the heckler. He looks back at me, undaunted: "Do you like Sex and the City Mr. David?"

I shook my head. "I've never seen it. You shouldn't, either."

The Rolex viewer, who sits the closest to me, sensed that I abstained from viewing the film for puritanical reasons.

"Mr. David. It's okay. There is no seck in Seck and the City. Only woman's fashions."






1 comment: